Why are PMs disabled on this board?

Rover

Why are PMs disabled on this board?

Post by Rover »

Is there any good reason why Private Messages are disabled on this board?

I have paid to read the reviews on this site but it would be nice if I could send or receive PMs from other members should the need arise.

Perhaps they were disabled for some reason some time ago. Can these be reinstated please?
adminpaul

How do forum users feel about activating private messaging?

Post by adminpaul »

We initially did not activate private messaging to protect users' privacy. After all, do you really know who is writing to you and what their underlying motives may be? We invite comments on this topic and are open to activating private messaging.
JISAlum

would like it

Post by JISAlum »

Without PM, I usually have to find a way to get my email address to the other person to have a private conversation. Either I have to post my email address on the board, or the conversation dies. Not the best solution.

Even with an email address I have to consider the ID of the person. Let users decide on whether it's in their best interest to PM someone. There are benefits to turning on PM, and it will encourage communication.
bayani

Post by bayani »

I completely agree with Rover. I think your intentions are good Admin, but it's all pretty Big Brother-esque.

The idea that you've disabled PM's to protect us doesn't really fly. Honestly, we all use the internet for a hundred other things like banking, paying bills and online purchases that open us up to much more risk than sending someone what is basically an email. You gotta believe that we have the ability to discern who to talk to/trust. Really not much different than filtering through the public posts on here.

Again, I know the intentions are good, but really, I think everyone would appreciate opening up PM's.
specialed

Post by specialed »

I have to agree with you bayani. this site is built upon anonymity, yet they don't want to enable the pm feature because of anonymity? I sense an admin conspiracy!
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pike

Post by Pike »

The reason for the PM being disabled is comical,...

But, I always had a "second" anonymous email I use if I want to keep my identity private. I started the practice years ago when I use to post on political forums, but in today's facebook era, its a really good idea to have one.
tictac

PM

Post by tictac »

One more vote for enabling PMs. I believe it would greatly help teachers getting in touch with other teachers over info they might not wish to air so publicly.
schoolcounselor

I agree...open PM

Post by schoolcounselor »

I support opening the PM system fully. Anyone who is using the internet has a responsibility to make their own judgments about the way they interact with and connect to others. And we assume our own risk in this situation as well. I've been a member of enough other communities to know that if there is an out of hand situation of harassment, a member can ask the admin to step in and block that person.

It is understandable that the admin might not want to take that chance, but my personal philosophy is trust first, assume the best in people and in most cases, people are decent, caring and helpful.

Opening PM's would really increase the value of this board and I believe, increase it's use by educators...which only serves to bring more information that we all need to make sound choices.

Please. Post a poll and let the members vote on this.

thanks!
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I vote for PMs too.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulegila

Post by bulegila »

Same here. Being able to have PM's would be useful. It's up to the user to protect themselves not big brother/ISR :)
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

One can still PM and use an anonymous email address and still correspond with someone and neither person will find out who the other is. So 2 people could discuss a school they work at and if they are careful neither one will find out who is who. If you want to reveal your identity then just be careful.
one2many

Post by one2many »

.isr
Last edited by one2many on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

I vote for PM!