IB

Roundtrip

IB

Post by Roundtrip »

Can someone shed some light on IB Certification? I have seven certifications, but I don't have IB. I am going to try to find a position abroad for next year. If I have the IB certification, will it help my chances of being noticed? How does one secure that certification?
D. Vader

Post by D. Vader »

I've taught in the IB Diploma Programme for a number of years now, and I'm not aware of any "certification" process. I think what you are inquiring about is in regards to formal IB training in a particular subject (English, Biology, History, TOK, etc.). According to the IBO, a teacher must have formal IB training in order to teach within the program. Training in IB subjects can be found in various locations around the world (check their website for dates and locations), but it is my understanding and experience that the only way one may obtain training is through his/her respective IB schools. In other words, one may not simply "sign up" and get training; rather, IB schools register trainees.

Of course, this creates a massive Catch-22. You want to teach in an IB school but do not have formal training (but desire it); IB schools want candidates with previous IB training rather than sending you for training.

A frustrating situation to be sure, however, you may want to consider those international schools that have the IB but have positions available that are not IB related. You work there for a year or two in a non-IB classroom and express your interest to the administration--ask them to send you to training. In reality, it behooves an IB school to send as many staff members as possible for training, even if not all teachers are teaching IB classes. Suppose an IB English teacher becomes ill or in some way incapacitated and he/she is the only trained IB English teacher in the school. This places tremendous pressure on the school since it will not have anyone to fill the position and remain in compliance with the IBO (and understand the exam process in the DP).

My experience has mainly been with the DP. I am not sure if PYP or MYP training can be obtained individually and without school request. Anyone else have info on this?
Roundtrip

Post by Roundtrip »

Thank you, Vader. This was helpful.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Ironically you don't have to be a certified teacher to be IB certified.
puka2

Post by puka2 »

Several years ago a friend was blown off because she was not PYP trained. She contacted IBO and was told that schools are supposed to send people for training. These schools are just trying to save money. You can't just attend courses to be "certified" an IB teacher. IBO was not happy that people were being blown off a job fairs for lack of training.
Many schools will give you the training but a few may be in less desirable locations.
opalenikm

IB Expansion

Post by opalenikm »

IB has grown dramatically in the past five years. The "open door" policy of IB presumes the program is for all students, not an elite group of learners. This sounds so good that many schools go on board without all the preparation necessary, which includes being obliged to train IB teachers and to keep them current in terms of changes in the IB, which is done through workshops run by IB. Because the programs are expanding so fast, it's difficult for IB to keep up with monitoring all the schools. A good school will make sure its teachers are prepared.
wherenext

Post by wherenext »

A friend of mine with no IB experience registered herself to an online workshop, ans she is going to do some sub in an international school: that's a way to get some IB stuff in your resume (the online training is 375 UKP, affordable!)
For your first job, you may have to accept a position in a school that is not "top of the crop", but will get you the experience. That's what I did for my second school: had MYP experience but no subject specific training, and no DP (experience and training): the school sent me to 2 workshops, and I got the experience there: not top package, but top teaching experience!
Good luck!
(try to get the teaching guide for your subject, read it, and in interviews, mention specific points to show that you know what you are talking about! (and of course, pair that with your own relevant teaching experience!)
hallier

Post by hallier »

My concern with IBO training is that (a) it is ridiculously expensive and (b) is often not very good. We are talking $600+ for a 3 day workshop. That is before travel and accommodation expenses.

As an earlier poster suggested, it may be better to seek an IB teaching position in a so called lesser school and get your training and experience that way.

Or, if you are seeking DP experience, aim for a school that teaches DP and start in the MS or at G9-10. Work your way into DP from there. I am working in a school where a number of teachers have done that.
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

edited.