Singapore Cost of Living and Salaries

Spawnboy99

Singapore Cost of Living and Salaries

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Dear All, have posted a question on this and the private site but trying to seek out information in regards to the cost of living in Singapore and what would be a salary that could support a family of three, one person working and a 4-year-old and still having a comfortable lifestyle. I understand this is a pretty broad topic have had personal experience with Japan and Malaysia but not for Singapore. Also in Tier Levels where would these salaries fit.

Thanks again.
fine dude

Re: Singapore Cost of Living and Salaries

Post by fine dude »

First off, you made a fine choice. Singapore is a great place to work and live. 10,000 - 12,000- SG dollars gross per month is a decent sum inclusive of housing allowance. That's what a tier 1 school pays for a mid-career teacher. You can make a bit more if you coach a sport or head a department. The trickiest part is the health insurance and even the best schools offer an okay insurance and healthcare in Singapore can be expensive if you have to top it up.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Thanks @ fine dude,

Nothing set in stone, but will be a country that now is on my radar. There are so many schools there and of course and both end of the scale, so this information is useful to make a gage from. Regarding Health Insurance could you please expand on this, with Covid would be hard to go into Malaysia to seek treatment?. Do most schools in Singapore give international health insurance? excluding the US or do they give local insurance only.

I also have a couple of interviews next week for two schools there hence why I'm reaching out.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

The top tier schools do offer international insurance excluding elective and planned treatments in the U.S. Aetna and AXA are the two major expat healthcare providers, and the former provides a far better service. Foreigners aren't eligible for the local subsidised 'Medisave' plan unless you gain permanent residency. At some schools, dental and orthodontic treatments are part of the plan, whereas in others they aren't. You could also email Pacific Prime, who act as brokers to international schools. https://www.pacificprime.sg
They are pretty efficient. I don't know much about the lower tier schools. There are some serious travel restrictions on foreign medical tourists entering Malaysia and I think they are dealing with cases on an individual basis.
teachermum

Post by teachermum »

Singapore currently has very strict travel restrictions in place so going to Malaysia for medical help would not be possible. I have worked in two schools here and have Cigna insurance. This is good coverage (excludes USA) and the medical care in Singapore is excellent. Singapore is a fantastic country to live in, but not cheap. Cars and taxes on cars are expensive, and eating and drinking out if you go to restaurants is just like any developed country in regards to cost. Alcohol is taxed and expensive. You can eat super cheaply if you go to the local hawker centres and wet markets. Bus and metro are cheap and reliable, (but can take a long time to get places) taxis are average. Schooling is a very high cost and if it isn't included in your package it would not be worth taking a contract without it, in my opinion. Good luck.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

@teachermun. Thanks a salary for someone in our current situation, my wife could find work with a Japanese company, but nothing set in stone as of yet. People are saying around 10k SGD plus housing could be doable.
teachermum

Post by teachermum »

I would say 10,000 is fine, so long as schooling is also covered. International schools here are something like 30-45,000 per year.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Third Tier: SGD$5K (bottom)-8K(Top)
Second Tier: SGD$8K-10K
First Tier: SGD$10K-12K
Elite: SGD$15K+

Health Insurance varies considerably, some ISs have a global plan some do not, US treatment is harder to find except on an emergency basis.

Housing is expensive in SG, SGD$10K would be doable for a family of three but just barely (assuming housing). One tuition/fee waiver/place is typical.
lunarium

Re: Response

Post by lunarium »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Third Tier: SGD$5K (bottom)-8K(Top)
> Second Tier: SGD$8K-10K
> First Tier: SGD$10K-12K
> Elite: SGD$15K+
>

Any idea the Elite/Tier 1 schools in Singapore?
Heliotrope

Re: Response

Post by Heliotrope »

Only PsyGuy uses 'Elite', but there are three Tier 1 international schools in Singapore: SAS, UWCSEA, Tanglin.
PsyGuy

Moderation

Post by PsyGuy »

Naming ISs, especially in terms of tier on the open forum is not permitted.

Contributors and members other than myself use the term "Elite", they may also be referred to as 'premiere' ISs.
Heliotrope

Re: Moderation

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Naming ISs, especially in terms of tier on the open forum is not permitted.
>
>
> Contributors and members other than myself use the term "Elite",
> they may also be referred to as 'premiere' ISs.

Uhmm, no, maybe one or two others have used it in one or two posts at some point in time, but when doing a search, all the posts using elite as a tier designation are by you, or by people asking what 'elite tier' is, confused by your use of the term in the same topic. Some (<4) people have used 'elite/1st tier' where this is meant as the same (first) tier.
I'd say it's not really catching on, but maybe it'll gain traction at some point.

But hey, I do understand why you'd use it, and it could make sense for some teachers in some discussions. I know some schools that would deserving of the designation. However, nobody but you is using it, so it will just confuse some people (as evidenced by the many who asked for clarification in response to you using it).
Since tier designation isn't regulated by any organisation, people are free to use as many tiers as they want, and since there are no official criteria for these different unofficial tiers people can attach these tier labels to whatever schools they want.
So no doubt you'll keep using it, and others will keep explaining to those who are confused by it that only you use it.

Maybe 'the elite of the tier 1 schools' would be a better term, as everyone will understand what you mean, and you can continue using your subdivision.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Compared to regulation of what within IE. Even curriculum isnt regulated by IE?
Tiers are formally defined.
As you demonstrated Im not the only member that uses the term "elite" to describe a superior subset of the 1st tier ISs.
Im reasonably certain I can continue to use elite tier as I have in the past without your consent or counsel.