Is there a polite way to say...

chilagringa

Is there a polite way to say...

Post by chilagringa »

"Email me from a legitimate school email address so I can tell if you are scamming me?"
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Is there a polite way to say...

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

chilagringa wrote:
> "Email me from a legitimate school email address so I can tell if you are scamming
> me?"
======================
Please email me from a legitimate school email address ....

Seriously though, other than the address is there something that makes you doubt this person/organization? If they are trying to scam you, it would be very easy to fake a legitimate looking email address.

If they are asking for money then it is a scam. Otherwise, not sure what they would be gaining by impersonating a school/admin. What are they asking that is making you question them?
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Some questionable commas and ackward phrasing. Sounds like a Nigerian prince.

Plus neither the vacancy nor the administrator's name is listed on the school's website...
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

That is a little odd. You could always follow up directly with the school just to make certain. Did they contact you cold or had you applied for a position with the school?
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Cold. Normally I like the smell of fish, but...
sid

Post by sid »

This fish is rotten.
Do the school a favor and contact them. If they know someone is working this kind of scam, they can at least announce it on their website and suggest people contact a specific address to determine if their contact is real or scammy.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I'm with Sid. Needless to say, if they even hint of asking for money you can write them off as scammers. However, I feel for you as there are so many smaller agencies and so many more schools calling themselves "international" these days it's hard to make out what's real and what isn't.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

My last school--whom I had contacted--did not have a school email address or even an intranet; employees had to use their personal email addresses! An intranet was set up within a few weeks after I started there.

So there is a possibility the school is legit--just a bit late joining the 21st century.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

A scammer can spoof an email address header pretty easily. Thats not an indication you arent being scammed. Grammar issues could simply be an extension of having a foreigner for the school writing the email. Its possible its a secretary or PA writing the email and not the HOS.

Some schools may be between HOSs or simply not list it. Some schools only list vacancies through a recruiter and/or agency and not their own website (though it is uncommon).

The cold contact is a big red flag, how did they get your info? Was it through an agency? If they ask for money its defiantly a scam and Id contact the school to let them know someone is trading on their name. There have been fake schools advertised on job boards with no other goal then identity theft and trying to get money for visas and other document processing.

@wrldtrvlr123

Identity theft. A resume gets you name and contact info, passport gets you place and date of birth and a "Criminal background check" gets you an NID#.