A confused teacher...

benj009

A confused teacher...

Post by benj009 »

Hello Everybody. I joined this forum because I truly do not know where to turn. I will explain my situation.

I'm a certified special education teacher in New Jersey. I'm also a highly qualified teacher for grades K-5. This means that I can teach regular and special education k-5. This is for only New Jersey. Every state has their own set of rules. After graduation I was a classroom aide for 3 years. The goal was to gain employment in my area, but when it didn't materialize I decided to leave. During this time I also worked 2 summers as a classroom aide for an alternative school. The children who attended this school were classified with severe behavior disorders.

I always wanted to travel the world so I took a job in South Korea with a private school. The school is a Hagwon. I taught ESL, and the grades were K-7. We had both kindergarten and elementary students. I worked there for a little over two years, and it was a wonderful experience.

My Experience/Credentials:

Hagwon - 2 years
Public School Classroom Aide- 3 years
Private School Classroom Aide- 2 summers

*NJ Teacher License (Special Education)
*Highly Qualified to teach grades K-5 (Regular/Special Education)

Currently I am home in the states. I am trying to decide what I should do next. I would love to go back to Asia, preferably Thailand. I do not want to work at a hagwon or another private school. I would like to work at an International school.

My questions are...

1. Will the experience that I've attained at the hagwon count on my resume?
2. If the experience does not count, what should I do? Someone suggested to me that I should first work at a 3rd tier internationally accredited school. The individual told me that their standards are lower, so getting a job there would be easier.
3. How do I find out whether an International school is 1st, 2nd or 3rd tier?
4. My specialty is special education. Are there international schools that cater to special needs children?

I'm in the process of signing up with Search Associates. Hopefully they can lead me in the correct direction.

Thank you,
Ben
vettievette

Re: A confused teacher...

Post by vettievette »

Run a search for Learning Support and Special Ed - you're likely to find a couple of informative forum posts.

But to answer your initial questions - no your experience at a hagwon is not likely to count for much, unless you're going for an ESL/ELL position. Your qualifications, however, could lead you anywhere. Learning Support/resource positions are becoming quite popular as schools begin to fulfill the needs of a changing population. You might even land a position at a "first tier" school you just never know. In terms of tier - there's no real system of how schools are labeled as such, but people tend to give the rank depending on how well-resourced the school it is, if it's the school (usual in capital city) that attracts all the diplomats'/NGO kids, etc.

Special Ed/Learning Support/resource looks very different in the international schools. Few international schools are equipped to cater to kids who have severe mental handicaps, etc. Even the bigger, well-resourced international schools will be quite up front with parents about which learning needs they can adequately address. You will likely see students who may have mild to medium processing issues, dyslexia/dyscalculia/dyspraxia, ADHD or some mild autistic-spectrum disorders. IEPs are not as long and drawn out as the ones you see in NJ or NY State (where I was before). I like to call it "special ed lite".
benj009

Post by benj009 »

Vettievette,

Thank you for your reply. It is very appreciated. I will run a search for Learning Support and Special ED. Hopefully I can find some great information on teaching special education internationally.

I know teaching children with disabilities is a much different experience overseas then it is in America. I am aware of the differences, and I do know that disabled people are at a huge disadvantage. Students who have learning and medical disabilities are inadequately represented. Actually, I think that if someone wanted to open a school that catered to special ed children they could do very well. Currently, I don't see much competition in this area.

I had a feeling that my hagwon experience wouldn't amount to much. It was a great time for me to experience another culture, so I don't think it was time wasted.

Thank you,
Ben
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

There is a school here in Kuwait called Fawsia Sultan Intl School. It's a special ed school. I know several teachers from there and they are really happy there.

There are plenty of Special Ed positions, but I don't know much about them. Learning support or ELL support would be a good option.

Your experience technically won't count towards salary steps, but it's good to list on your resume. It's at least teaching exp. to show. Fresh teachers get plenty of offers all the time. The ME is a good place to start, and there are some schools with sped openings.
mamava

Post by mamava »

The International School of Brussels (or Belgium) has a school-within-a-school program for students with disabilities. There is also a school under the umbrella of the Qatar Foundation that is a "special ed" school. I interviewed with them and was very interested because part of the work entailed going out to local schools and providing teacher training. In Beijing there are 2-3 programs that are not school-affiliated (i.e. private) that provide education and services for students with disabilities.

For the standard international schools, "learning support" denotes students with very mild issues and can encompass students who are behind for English-language issues, gaps due to moving a lot, or other issues that would not typically be addressed through special education back in the States. In general, I've found that very little curricular modification is given, and virtually none at the secondary level, meaning that students really do need to be able to meet the expectations of college-prep,rigorous schools with not a lot of support. I just left one of the elite tier 1 schools in Asia, and we had 10 learning support teachers, 9 counselors, a school psychologist, a speech pathologist, PLUS 7 ESOL teachers (from preK-grade 12) and we were pushing ourselves to widen the parameters for what we can do to help students succeed. I'm now at a definitely tier 2 school with a much smaller staff and student population, but the same issues abound with being able to identify and provide services appropriately within a pretty tight structure of expectations.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I feel like your special ed qualification might qualify you to teach at a lot of schools as this is becoming more and more in-demand. At each of the three international schools I have taught at they have not had a formal special ed program, but all schools had students with special needs. Generally, there is a very low special ed population that is admitted to the schools. However, at the school I was at in China, they hired someone on the year that I started so she could create her own program. So, even if the schools you are interested in applying to don't have a program, and you have the experience and education for it, you might be able to persuade them that a program is necessary for their school so they should hire you.

There are many 3rd tier schools and schools that offer very little in pay where you can gain a couple years of experience as a mainstream classroom teacher. I have seen ads for teaching in public schools in Abu Dhabi, Vietnam, and China where you might not be in an international school, but you could gain full-time classroom teacher experience. If you are interested in getting started and not worried too much about the pay I would suggest looking at Latin America or China.

Good luck!

-Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/
benj009

Post by benj009 »

Thanks everyone for contributing to my thread. It's appreciated.

"I have seen ads for teaching in public schools in Abu Dhabi, Vietnam, and China where you might not be in an international school, but you could gain full-time classroom teacher experience. If you are interested in getting started and not worried too much about the pay I would suggest looking at Latin America or China."

Where are these ads? I don't know where to look, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
redrider

Post by redrider »

Search Associates would be the best place for you to look. After you get past the 'front gate', you can search the jobs currently available by content area. I've been seeing a lot of special needs positions (relatively speaking, a few a month lately) posted. You're right, special ed is very different in international schools. In my experience, teachers overseas are not as interested in being inclusive or making accommodations as in the US. I would put that down to a cultural difference, in that there is no pressure in particular to be inclusive in international schools, it is pretty well up to the individual teacher's comfort and interest level. Some utterly don't make accommodations and dislike even having those students in their classes. Sad but true.

The hogwan experience doesn't give you salary steps BUT it does speak to your ability to adapt and adjust to another culture without doing a runner. That's not insignificant, and it's often your foot in the door. Because it is so expensive to bring in expat teachers, schools want to be sure that who they hire isn't going to decide the place isn't up to their expectations and then up and leave. I would play that part up in your cover letters.

Check Search Associates, check TES (the Times Educational Supplement, search your position under SEN). Some people swear by joyjobs and teach anywhere, but I haven't much used the last two and can't really speak to them.
benj009

Post by benj009 »

redrider wrote:
> Search Associates would be the best place for you to look. After you get
> past the 'front gate', you can search the jobs currently available by
> content area. I've been seeing a lot of special needs positions (relatively
> speaking, a few a month lately) posted. You're right, special ed is very
> different in international schools. In my experience, teachers overseas are
> not as interested in being inclusive or making accommodations as in the US.
> I would put that down to a cultural difference, in that there is no
> pressure in particular to be inclusive in international schools, it is
> pretty well up to the individual teacher's comfort and interest level. Some
> utterly don't make accommodations and dislike even having those students in
> their classes. Sad but true.
>
> The hogwan experience doesn't give you salary steps BUT it does speak to
> your ability to adapt and adjust to another culture without doing a runner.
> That's not insignificant, and it's often your foot in the door. Because it
> is so expensive to bring in expat teachers, schools want to be sure that
> who they hire isn't going to decide the place isn't up to their
> expectations and then up and leave. I would play that part up in your cover
> letters.
>
> Check Search Associates, check TES (the Times Educational Supplement,
> search your position under SEN). Some people swear by joyjobs and teach
> anywhere, but I haven't much used the last two and can't really speak to
> them.

Rider,

I'm not looking for salary steps at this point. I'm looking to get my foot in the door, and I will work hard and take care of the rest. Getting as much experience I can is very important to me, and the experience has to come from a reputable accredited school.

I signed up at TIE Online. They seem pretty good, but the available Special Ed jobs that they have are meager. I was able to locate a few and I sent my resume to the schools. I have my application almost completed at Search Associates. My fear is that they aren't going to be able to work with me, because I don't have 2 full years experience as a classroom teacher. They don't count teaching at a hagwon as real experience, and my classroom aide job that I had will not count either. I'm still going to fill out the application though. I might get lucky.

Thank you,
Ben
JMD25

Post by JMD25 »

@vettievette

I have read a few of your responses to those inquiring about special ed positions abroad. I have a long special ed career here in the states (14 years) and a graduate degree in Special Education. I think I am a very qualified candidate but am wondering if you can recommend anything that may make me look even stronger (I'm hoping to have more choice in what areas to work in, specifically Asia/EU). I have my CTEL (Certified to teach English Learners) as part of my CA credentials (mild/mod and mod/severe certified ages K-21) but wondering if I should get my early childhood credential,etc? Or should I go through another organization for a separate TEFL certificate? Just wondering if I should add anything on to help. I am thinking I will look for the 2016/17 school year abroad and not sure how early to register with SEARCH or any other organizations. Thanks!

vettievette wrote:
> Run a search for Learning Support and Special Ed - you're likely to find a
> couple of informative forum posts.
>
> But to answer your initial questions - no your experience at a hagwon is
> not likely to count for much, unless you're going for an ESL/ELL position.
> Your qualifications, however, could lead you anywhere. Learning
> Support/resource positions are becoming quite popular as schools begin to
> fulfill the needs of a changing population. You might even land a position
> at a "first tier" school you just never know. In terms of tier -
> there's no real system of how schools are labeled as such, but people tend
> to give the rank depending on how well-resourced the school it is, if it's
> the school (usual in capital city) that attracts all the diplomats'/NGO
> kids, etc.
>
> Special Ed/Learning Support/resource looks very different in the
> international schools. Few international schools are equipped to cater to
> kids who have severe mental handicaps, etc. Even the bigger, well-resourced
> international schools will be quite up front with parents about which
> learning needs they can adequately address. You will likely see students
> who may have mild to medium processing issues,
> dyslexia/dyscalculia/dyspraxia, ADHD or some mild autistic-spectrum
> disorders. IEPs are not as long and drawn out as the ones you see in NJ or
> NY State (where I was before). I like to call it "special ed
> lite".
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

JMD25 wrote:
> @vettievette
>
> I have read a few of your responses to those inquiring about special ed positions
> abroad. I have a long special ed career here in the states (14 years) and a graduate
> degree in Special Education. I think I am a very qualified candidate but am wondering
> if you can recommend anything that may make me look even stronger (I'm hoping to
> have more choice in what areas to work in, specifically Asia/EU). I have my CTEL
> (Certified to teach English Learners) as part of my CA credentials (mild/mod and
> mod/severe certified ages K-21) but wondering if I should get my early childhood
> credential,etc? Or should I go through another organization for a separate TEFL
> certificate? Just wondering if I should add anything on to help. I am thinking
> I will look for the 2016/17 school year abroad and not sure how early to register
> with SEARCH or any other organizations. Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------
With your experience and certification you are certainly well qualified for a learning support/resource room position in a good to great school. Most of those schools would be looking for an LS teacher as a full time position and so additional ESL or early childhood certification would not necessarily be a difference maker (although anything that makes an employer feel that you give them more flexible options is always a plus).

Other than a few schools like ISBrussels or ISGeneva (which have more comprehensive SPED programs), most jobs are going to be more like resource room jobs with pullout and/or push-in inclusion, small group instruction, possibly some assessments etc. So, in general it is in your best interest to spotlight or play up any of your training or experiences that prepare you to assist students with mild disabilities/deficits who just need a little boost (e.g. tutoring, intensive instruction, differentiation, some accommodations) to succeed in the gen. ed. classroom/curriculum.

If you are serious about this, I would join Search as soon as possible to get your information in the database for schools to see and to get an idea about schools, salaries, countries, regions etc. The only thing you could really add to your file would be experience/training with the IB curriculum or an int'l type experience that would show you would be ready for the big changes that come with moving country, school etc.

You also don't mention (that I saw) your personal situation. If you are single teacher, then I would think that you would be very high on the list of many excellent international schools. The more non-teaching dependents you add to the picture, the less attractive you become to potential employers.

As far as experience alone, you have more years than I do and I have managed to find good SPED jobs in 4 different countries
with international schools and now with DoDDS. Good luck!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with @WT, you dont need a TESOL qualification, if anything adding a state certification in ESOL is far more preferable than anything like a DELTA or Trinity certificate.

Based on your earlier post what you really need is experience, none of your aid experience or Hogwon experience matters or counts. You need time in a SPED/SEN/LS classroom.

Aside from that getting to know the international terms and language used in various type of ISs would help you talk your way through an interview, because really you need to be talking to any and every IS possible looking for one to give you a shoot.

I would look into Search Associates about being an intern and possibly going to the BOS fair, the typical bar to entry in IE is two years experience, and you need an IS that is desperate, unfortunately ISs with any type of SEN/LS program tend to have better resources and dont get too desperate.