How to become an administrator?

sid

Post by sid »

I think newguy and I have pretty clearly expressed an idea about what generally constitutes admin. All schools are different, all situations are different, and one can always find an exception to any rule. Except perhaps Newton's Three Laws. There's no need to point out ridiculous extreme interpretations and attribute them to us on the grounds that we communicated a general theory. That doesn't prove you right any more than it proves us wrong.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I think if you want to be an admin. internationally, and you already have a master's degree in any area and some years of teaching experience, you just need to start applying to positions that appeal to you. If you are looking at admin. in public school systems, you would need the appropriate licensure.

I have been very fortunate to land my first admin. position this year after 5 years of teaching, with some departmental leadership experience and previous "real world" management experience. I do not have an admin. license, but do have a master's in education.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

Its not a theory its a model.

No, it actually does prove me right. If an admin supervises other people and a librarian supervises an assistant librarian, then by your definition they qualify as an admin, and your model is invalid, and requires correction. Thats how models work. Thats not an extreme scenario by any means.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Actually SighGuy, I think that would make the librarian a Head of Department...Which has been a middle leadership position in every school that I have worked in. I think an admin position would supervise people across departments...as opposed to merely supervising people within one.