Aspiring International Teacher. Advice Welcomed

wannateach

Post by wannateach »

According to the people in charge at Teacher Ready:

... it takes the FLDOE takes 60 days to post your official test scores and to update your Statement of Eligibility. So, if you took your last test on the day you turn in your last assignment, I still couldn’t request your certificate for about 60 days.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Wow that makes it August until I get my certification.

Seems like I am gonna have some troubles getting employment.

If all else fails I can go chill out in Colombia for the year and teach some ESL.

I don't know If Id be able to do another year of ESL in Korea
dantespal

getting paper in hand

Post by dantespal »

If i'm reading wannateach right, they are saying that you can't even apply until August, not that you'd have your certificate by then.

In most states, its a completely lame and unacceptable situation.
PsyGuy

My View

Post by PsyGuy »

It sounds like your scores alone wont post for 60 days, which means you wont even be able to apply until August. That could take months as well.

Many states have LONG wait times, Colorado and California are both around 6 months. My california certification took 7 months, though part of that was having to submit finger print cards. Texas gets computer based testing scores posted to your account in 3 days, paper based scores are 3 weeks. Initial certifications take 2 weeks to a month from SBEC, and adding certifications takes about a week.

Your really going to have some issues with finding a job, because you cant honestly say you can get certified until you have your test scores. A recruiter isnt going to know or not if your really eligible for certification until you have them. Its one thing if its just waiting for the certificate to be granted and the paperwork processed, its another to not know until august if you passed. If you fail, and have to retest can you really go to Columbia?
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Looks like Ill be chilling in Colombia for most of next school year. (which will be fun, but a waste on the money front)

I wont go to Colombia until I know I have passed my tests. Which with all the studying and preparation I should def pass on first attempt.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

So I am trying to plan out a timetable here in Korea and figure out which fairs I will need to go to in Feb 13'. I am just going to extend my contract here in Korea for around Dec-Feb then go home for a bit then go to one or more of the IT Fairs. Sucks my ACP wont finish till June forcing me to kill / waste essentially a whole year of being licensed.

I am primarily looking to land a job in Venezuela or the Middle East for my first contract to be able to save some decent money. Do the other schools in Venezuela besides ECA give good packages and pay? I speak spanish and love Latin American Culture so the idea of being in a place I like and being able to save a good amount of money is very appealing.

If not there than I would just prefer to suffer out a contract in the Middle East and save up the most money I can.

What would be the best course of action for me with those things in mind in regards to IT Fairs?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Must it be in Venezuela? Academia Cotopaxi in Quito pays well for a SA school, and has a good housing allowance (but does not provide transportation).

There is no need to "suffer" in the ME if you choose wisely. A former colleague just moved to Jeddah and is loving it. A current colleague spent 12 years in Doha. Muscat is great.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

How much would one be able to save at AC in Quito living modestly a year? I am looking to save 20K. I thought the only place that was possible in LA was in Venezuela.

I am afraid anyplace in the ME would require me to suffer (minus Lebanon and Tel Aviv). The women and the nightlife scene in 90% of ME is just down right terrible and expensive to boot.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

Didn't see this thread before, but I have some personal experience with the TeacherReady program for anybody interested. The program is as described. It's online and it does get you your certification which is great. One thing that is an advantage with this program over many others is that once you finish the program, University of West Florida will transfer 12 hours into their online Masters program so if you want your certification now and want a Masters later, it's a really good setup. The program itself was pretty easy and did what it was supposed to do for me. No regrets.
PsyGuy

Sorry my friend

Post by PsyGuy »

Hi Ali, sorry but I'm sure you already now, you can't have both. Venezuela would be a much better social life, but you can't save any where near that type of money, and even if it were possible, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of that night life living on the frugal side.
You also already know that the main draw to the ME is the money, and thats it, just the money. You need to decide whether you want to bank some coin or have fun, and then choose accordingly. You can't have it both ways.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

PsyGuy,

In Venezuela I could have plenty fun with some cheap local beers and a girl in my room with some salsa, reggeaton, and bachata blasting.

I am not really a big drinker, so If I go out (once a week) I am simply having 1-3 of the cheapest drinks there and primarily enjoying the music and people.

I could also go to some cheaper places (although it would be more dangerous but I have never let that get in the way of fun in all my travels and I have been to some pretty dangerous places ie san salvador, guate city, san jose, managua, colombia, brazil, ect.)

It can be done, just wont be easy....

Which fair would be the best for money with Middle East schools?
PsyGuy

Debatable

Post by PsyGuy »

You can either be one of the top candidates at the UNI fair, or the Search BOS fair. of course you could go to the Dubai fair in late February, but by then the top ME schools will have hired already. If I was betting money id go to the UNI fair though.

Postal Script:

You need to spend more money on your bar tab.
heyteach

Re: Sorry my friend

Post by heyteach »

[quote="PsyGuy"]
You also already know that the main draw to the ME is the money, and thats it, just the money. You need to decide whether you want to bank some coin or have fun, and then choose accordingly. You can't have it both ways.[/quote]

I'm saving about half my income (I've saved well more than my entire salary in Ecuador), and having a lot of fun. There's a lot to do here besides dating and drinking in expensive hotel bars. The single lads on staff seem to be enjoying themselves, as well (though perhaps not saving as much), and manage to date pretty regularly.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Is the Search Bos in Feb as well?

Seems to me the Search Bos one would have better schools / packages no?

If thats the case id rather go to that one first then do UNI if I havent received an offer I like.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@heyteach

Then I have to conclude then mate that you don't really know what fun is. For a good looking, single guy, there isn't anything more important then drinking and women.

@calipro

Yeah the Search BOS fair is February 7-10, sure there ae better schools, but you said you want to go to S/C America or the ME, and the UNI fair is pretty much divided evenly between those two regions. You could go to BOS and there will be better schools, but were talking a handful of ME schools, and oly a couple in S/C America.

I'd email an application packet to those schools that your interested in and see if they are interested in you, and if not, why bother going? You will be a lot more action at the UNI fair.