Aspiring International Teacher. Advice Welcomed

CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Just went to their site and it must have been filled. Only seeking History and Primary teachers as I can see.

If anyone knows of a business opening in a third tier school in Asia let me know!
Last edited by CaliPro on Wed May 30, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Wow

Post by PsyGuy »

That filled fast. If I find anything I will let you know.
Count Nomula

Post by Count Nomula »

CaliPro,

I am in a very similar situation as you are. I am considering a post in China next year at a low-tier school. I have my provisional license, but never completed my practicum (unable to find a job in my home state). Therefore, I've been looking into other alternative routes a well.

Can you use international school experience as your student teaching? If so, how would they be able to monitor and advise you? I was looking into both the online Florida and Texas program. If I could use next year to both work AND obtain my full license, it would be ideal.

Did you find any information in your research?
wannateach

Post by wannateach »

You can definitely use an international school for your practicum- at least that's what they've been telling me! There are a couple of people in my cohort that are teaching in Egypt right now. When you're accepted to the program, the program coordinators contact the school and locate a "mentor teacher" to work with you.

You can either work as a teacher while you're doing the program or volunteer at a school, but you have to be in a classroom environment throughout the program. The way it works is you complete "field assignments" including interviews, observations, and teaching lessons. If you're already in a classroom, this is much easier. For instance, one assignment was to plan and teach a lesson with learning activities that were tied to learning targets. Since I'm already teaching, this was no problem. I just applied what I learned over the past few weeks to my lesson planning and wrote a reflection on it.

Some of the field experiences can be tricky if you're not in a U.S. school, but they work with you. Another field assignment was to sit in at a school board meeting, which I couldn't do. So I contacted the professor and she sent me some websites for various school districts that post videos of their past meetings.

Also, it's not bad working at a 3rd tier school in my opinion :) I only assume my school is such because we do have a lot of non-certified teachers, but the foreigner teachers are treated very well. I've asked some of the certified teachers here why they don't go somewhere else and they say that it's actually preferable here because we have a lighter workload.

And just to reiterate, I'm only partway through the program. I have no idea whether the fact that I've completed an online program with student teaching abroad will help or hurt me when applying for jobs in the future, so use your own judgement when deciding what's best for you.
Count Nomula

Post by Count Nomula »

wannateach,

Thanks for the reply! I've been doing some preliminary research on the program, and it seems like a very good option. How does the whole mentor teacher thing work? Do they adjust this if you will already have your own classroom? Or are you expected to also observe your mentor 2-5 hours per week, etc? What kind of things do they expect from the "field experience", and is it difficult to do if you are a full time teacher (not just volunteering with a mentor)?

Also, one final question... how did your school accommodate you in this whole process? Did you ask before or after you had signed your contract? I am worried that the school may say 'no', since its something I haven't discussed with them yet.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Not sure if it would be easier working in a school while you do the program or just volunteering.

Seems to me you would need to go observe and do assignments with your mentor during your planning period ect.

Wannateach,

Are you doing the TeacherReady program? If so how many hours per week are you required to do in your field experience?
wannateach

Post by wannateach »

Yes, I started the program in February. I'm about halfway through the course right now.

I can't really say how many hours a week I'm doing for the field experience because I'm basically just doing my job plus a little extra work by writing reflections about it. Sometimes there will be something extra to do, like I might have to interview another teacher. Occasionally there may be separate assignments for people already in the classroom. In my opinion it seems a lot more convenient if you're already teaching.

I didn't ask my school beforehand. But why wouldn't they accommodate you? It looks better for them if they have certified teachers on staff. I applied this winter and when I told the school what I was doing they were very supportive. It doesn't interfere with my job at all, if anything it's making me perform better at my job because now I'm getting instruction on how to be an effective teacher.

For me this seemed a good way to get certified because I was already teaching and I didn't want to have to go back home and do unpaid student teaching. The program coordinators are very helpful, if you have specific concerns they might be able to answer your questions better than I can.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Ah cool. What subject and level will you get certified in?
wannateach

Post by wannateach »

I'll be getting certified to teach K-6. I'm considering taking another test and getting certified in secondary social studies. I'm pretty sure I could pass it easily because it was my major in college, but I don't know if it would be worth it. I think it's unlikely that any school would hire me to teach S.S. if my only experience is in elementary.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

That depends really, S.S. usually covers a number of different fields. S.S. is also called humanities. S.S. may also include subjects such as economics, and psychology depending on your state. Tthere is also TOK (Theory of Knowledge), and the possibility of "religious studies". You could become qualified to teach in a number of areas, with one certification.
Given those areas individually arent in high demand, combined it would be pretty good bang for your buck.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Guys,

My program will be finishing in June 13' and I was wondering if it will be possible to acquire a job so late.

What would be the most logical ways for going about finding a job in late June?

The thought of doing nothing and wasting my first year of being certified is depressing.
PsyGuy

Clarify

Post by PsyGuy »

Your program will be finished June 13, but will you be certified? I'm going to assume otherwise that you mean June 13 of 2013? Since we are already into July, and you didn't mean July 13 2012?

If you mean next year, ther won't be but you don't have to wait until your certified to start job searching. You can secure a position before your certified. It won't be easy, as you won't have a lot going for you (no experience, etc). Business studies isn't in that much demand but you don't have to wait.

If you meant this year, it's still not too late, I would join TIE online, Search, and browse Dave's ESL cafe, you can find something if you will accept anything. If worse comes to worse you might want to consider teaching ESL as a last resort for a year.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I should be certified by July 2013. It will be in Mathematics 6-12.

Looking to pass my 3 tests before my 9 month program finishes in June. Not sure how long it takes to get my license in hand after having completed all the requirements but I can't imagine it to take too long.

Would be nice If I could secure a job before becoming certified. I know schools have hired college senors at job fairs prior to them being graduated / certified.
PsyGuy

Now

Post by PsyGuy »

I'd start looking with everyone else in November. If you can accept anything, you will find something.
dantespal

Post by dantespal »

[quote="CaliPro"]I should be certified by July 2013. It will be in Mathematics 6-12.

Looking to pass my 3 tests before my 9 month program finishes in June. Not sure how long it takes to get my license in hand after having completed all the requirements but I can't imagine it to take too long.

Would be nice If I could secure a job before becoming certified. I know schools have hired college senors at job fairs prior to them being graduated / certified.[/quote]

It will depend on your state. Many of them are really backed up. I'm certified in 3 states. In one, it took over a year from submission until i had the certificate. My most recent is Colorado and it took from a February submission (which should be outside of the rush time) until late July to get the certificate.

I'd make sure that the school/country is ok with you not having the paper in your hand before you make plans and assume that you'll get it in time.