Master's of Ed but no cert...

NiuBi

Post by NiuBi »

Thanks,

Im in a contract for one more year, hopefully Ill be able to land in good standings on next go around. Was just fielding the waters for others' professional opinions.

Thanks again everyone
inspiration

Post by inspiration »

Hi NiuBi,

Both interteach and pikefish, who have a real experience of working for top-tier schools, are saying teachers without cert. actually work for the schools. Why don't you trust them and give it a shot?

You're not applying for state schools in America. Heads, who try to increase the quality of their schools, may get interested in you, if you can prove you can contribute to students' learning with your specialized knowledge and experience, and you'll be an asset for their schools.

Good luck!
NiuBi

Post by NiuBi »

truly words of inspiration, forget what people with their negativity bring.
thanks
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

Negativity or realism?

There are teachers without proper home country certification in in schools especially in "shortage" subjects. However at the moment in uk at least there is an oversupply of science teachers. One of my student teachers said she was told 1/3 of last years PGCE grads in science from her uni failed to get a teaching post. Nationally 52% failed in all subjects. Times are bad and uk government cutting number of places (fortunately). But that does mean plenty of supy of certified teachers on the market. I suspect uncertified teachers get into the int circuit in good times when supply of teachers is low. Once in with good refs it's ok. Although I went to an interview where they said that had a PhD (science) teaching who was good with lots of experience who was doing a ipgce as the governors had said "no non certified teachers". So issues may arise.

Think about it one year at home teaching to boost a whole career? In Asia men spend years away from wives to boost their careers/save money. Us westerners are so weak!
inspiration

Post by inspiration »

[quote="Nemo."]Although I went to an interview where they said that had a PhD (science) teaching who was good with lots of experience who was doing a ipgce as the governors had said "no non certified teachers".[/quote]

Do you mean a school shared other candidate's background with you? How unprofessional! Would you mind sharing the name of the school?
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Niubi-

I am in SE Asia.

Please do not think I am saying it does not matter if you have certification. Without a doubt it is to one's advantage to have certification from the States, Canada, the UK, etc... However, at my school not having certification does not eliminate an applicant from contention.

To second what inspiration wrote: great references, successful overseas experience, and being an amazing teacher are what matter most...

Oh... Knowing someone really helps, too. :)
inspiration

Post by inspiration »

Niubi,

My position is exactly the same as pikefish. It's surely not an advantage that you don't have certification. You need to overcome the disadvantage, and let a school recognize your value against certified teachers, which might be a challenge.

By the way, PsyGuy,

Why did you respond to my question to Nemo? I'm confused.
kfssbjj

Post by kfssbjj »

It is possible to do student teaching at your overseas location. We have had 2 teachers do student teaching at our school. Of course your school could still pay you to do your teaching job. Getting a teaching credential while teaching overseas is very possible.
lholz

No certification

Post by lholz »

I know many people who work in top tier international schools without 'certification' because certification is predominantly an American term. In my national system if you have a recognised teaching degree and then pass an interview with the national government, you are qualified to teach. Teachers were not allowed to go on a do a Masters in Education until they had completed a minimum of three years of teaching.

Good schools are experienced in hiring international teachers and know which nationalities work this way, so I have had no problems being hired in large Asian international schools, American schools, and other top tier international schools. So, it is possible to get a job without certification.

However, I believe it does depend on the national system you come from. If you are an American, schools know certification is required there, and therefore will probably expect you to have it. If that is the case then, yes, it may be more difficult for you to get a job without that certification.

Finally, I think you should make sure you present yourself as professionally as possible when you write. It would help to have no grammar errors. I think it does raise red flags with employers.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

[quote="interteach"]Actually, in the US certification is required only if you want to teach in a public school (and you can get provisional certification and work towards it in many states), whereas private schools have a choice as to whether or not they wish to hire teachers without certification.

If you're from the US and have private school experience without certification, it's possible to qualify for international schools.[/quote]

same in UK you don't need QTS to get a job in a private school! And indeed many "instructors" teaching KS4 (14+) don't have QTS. Private schools often want teacher training of course and some pgce grads never do the induction year as many private schools don't offer that (without that can't teach in state schools long term).

As for earlier question I won't name and shame a school! People always tell me things they shouldn't although when I used to do fraud investigations it was handy lol. It's when dates tell me their innermost secrets I don't like it :0
inspiration

Post by inspiration »

[quote="Nemo."]As for earlier question I won't name and shame a school![/quote]

Fair enough. But, it's obvious you didn't have an interview with a top-tier school.