Munich VS Budapest

citygirl

Munich VS Budapest

Post by citygirl »

Seeking opinions ..... Would you rather work at a top school in Munich or Budapest? Why?
joe30

Re: Munich VS Budapest

Post by joe30 »

Budapest, not even close.

Cheaper living and better dating opportunities. You don't have to put up with the extreme Western European work ethic.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

This is probably one of the hardest choices because the quality of life you would have (while having different specifics) would be very near the same to the point that one or two seemingly trivial or minor factors or differences would make all the difference. Something as simple for a guy as a preference for more western or eastern European woman would be enough to go either way. It would really depend on what your priorities are. So many things would be equivalent.

Some of the more divergent factors to consider:

1) Savings: Budapest has a flat 15% income tax, Germany would be around 40%.

2) Costs: Budapest is cheaper than Munich when considering a weekends costs and expenses. Imports will be more commonly available and therefore less than in Munich than Budapest.

3) Navigation: Munich will have a greater presence of English than Budapest, making day to day interactions easier (most Hungarians speak German.

4) Travel: Munich has better access to the places most ITs would prefer to go.

5) Social: Budapest will have more social opportunities, its easier, but straight compensated dating in Munich is legal. Munich would be more the style for the settled and those with families. Budapest has a more rough and wild side, whereas in Germany its just not a thing, no one cares what you do as long as its between consenting adults.

Personally, all the IE factors being relatively equal Id have more fun in Budapest. Though I declined an appointment in Budapest because the daily dress code was tie and jacket.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i would definitely take budapest. guess it depends on what you're looking for.

good luck!

v.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Munich

The school is IB all through, and not linked to any one particular nationality.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@shadylane

Not everyone likes IB and based on the LWs presumption this is a top tier IS, if you can get to first tier without doing IB, Id advise that. There are plenty of non IB 1st tier ISs (and those that are offer it are mostly NC ISs with IB as a school leaving option) and almost all elite tier ISs are NC ISs (Switzerland being the exception). IB (and I love their Koolaid and love the cult) is just more work for a classroom IT, the pay off for that work is faster movement through the tiers, but if your already at the top, dont bother.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

@PsyGuy

The OP asks for our personal opinions. I gave mine. I'm aware that others will disagree.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@shadylane

Fair enough.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Not true in Europe--the elite schools are NOT all NC (they mostly are either IB or "American curriculum," though there is no such thing--mostly it means AP).

If you like IB, do IB.

Honestly, I haven't been to Budapest, so I can't give a comparison. I can say that Munich is a wonderful place to live--lots of culture, good energy, clean, efficient (amazing public transport), fun, etc.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Yes true, elite ISs in the EU are mostly NC ISs the majority being USNC or some other NC, thats not to say that elite tier ISs dont have IB (especially at DIP) but with few exceptions they arent classic IB World ISs

Sure if you like IB do IB, but if you dont like it or dont have an opinion about it and can get to first tier without it, skip it if you dont have some other motivation for pursuing it.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Without wanting to derail the thread, I will point out that there is no such thing as a US national curriculum. I will then concede the last word to you rather than get dragged down or trolled into responding.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

There is absolutely a US National Curriculum.
wanderworld

Post by wanderworld »

Budapest! I have a friend teaching there who loves it. We just got back from a trip there, and loved the city. It's actually where we are hoping to land after my current contract ends next year.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

If you are looking at AISB and MIS... the top schools in those cities I would ask what your long term plan is...

AISB is tax free and has a housing allowance but you are investing for retirement on your own.

MIS is a lot of tax and no housing allowance but if you stay long term you get a German pension and a private pension.

Munich is a more developed Western city. Budapest is more edgy.

English is easier to find in Hungary then ever before since it has been more widely taught in schools.

Hungary is surrounded by 7 countries so travel is great if you have a car or take the train. Malev shut down a few years back and that made things a tad more difficult flight wise.

Munich opens up Austria, Switzerland and Italy with ease and of course Germany. Transport is easy and highways and trains are great. The Munich airport is a favourite of mine. Smaller then Frankfurt and you can get to more and more places from it.

Honestly both great cities.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Even if you don't stay, you can collect the pension from Munich (2 years after departure if you stay less than 5 years, at retirement if you stay more than 5).

English is spoken widely in Germany, obviously, especially Munich.

Otherwise lovely comparison.