PGCEi to DC licensure

molang

PGCEi to DC licensure

Post by molang »

Could anyone provide a detailed description of how to obtain DC licensure after a PGCEi?

Overview about me: US Citizen with a B.A. in English and Russian. Spent just over a year as a Special Ed Teaching Assistant at a k-12 public school in the states. Currently finishing up my first year teaching early childhood ESL in a Korean hagwon (I know, bit of a time waster, but I need to save money while also remaining in the classroom in some capacity). Have made a serious decision to pursue IE as a career, but don't want to teach in the states anytime soon.

I'm hoping to my PGCEi during 2017, since I don't have any IS contacts or enough time off to do the practicum required for Teach Now or Teacher Ready. It looks to be the best option for me. A few questions though...

1) I have many good relationships with teachers at the k-12 public school I used to work at in the US. If I'm able to travel back for a week, could I potentially go back there to do the week-long practicum required by Teacher Ready? Or must I do it at an IS?

2) Once I complete PGCEi and am ready to apply for DC licensure, how exactly does the process look? Do I need to travel back to the US for any reason? And what if I have "deficiencies"...I've got my BA in English but am hoping to be certified as an English subject teacher (enjoy teaching middle schoolers) AND elementary education (Is that possible? Getting certified both as an English subject teacher and a general elementary ed teacher? Does DC do "endorsements" like other states? Here's where things get really hazy for me)

***Basically, is PGCEi the best option for my situation, and once I get it, what the heck do I do to get a DC license and start teaching either English (language/lit) to middle schoolers or general elementary k-6? I've scoured these boards for information and have learned a lot. Just hoping for some further clarification.
carolina

Re: PGCEi to DC licensure

Post by carolina »

When you say DC licensure, are you referring to Washington, D.C.? If I'm not mistaken, you MUST be in-person for fingerprinting there.
carolina

Post by carolina »

Here's the guidance for D.C. credentialing: http://osse.dc.gov/page/educator-creden ... herinitial

Unfortunately, it does not appear that you'll be able to get an Initial credential based on the employment history you described.
molang

Post by molang »

carolina wrote:
> Here's the guidance for D.C. credentialing:
> http://osse.dc.gov/page/educator-creden ... herinitial
>
> Unfortunately, it does not appear that you'll be able to get an Initial
> credential based on the employment history you described.

It's my understanding that once I complete the PGCEi, I am eligible and can apply for a Washington, D.C. license. Is that wrong?
carolina

Post by carolina »

You may be able to apply for a Standard credential under Option A. You should ask OSSE if your PGCEi coursework is an approved teacher preparation program.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

DC adopted new rules in July 2016, unfortunately while your PGCEi is still acceptable the new rules would require that you complete 2 years of teaching experience to apply for the DC standard credential. As time progresses and DC eventually (hopefully) formally recognizes the PGCEi, you will be able to apply for the standard license under a separate pathway (option A).

However, you no longer need to get the PGCEi, you can apply to Utah (UT) for a level 1 APT certificate in the field matching your bachelors degree, after completing the appropriate PRAXIS exam (available globally) and a CRB. You may only obtain a single subject or a general primary certificate (in your case Literature). There is no EPP/ITT program requirement. The credential is renewable every 3 years.

In answer to your questions:

1) You could potentially do the 5 days of field experience with Teach Ready in the states, assuming the DS is accredited.

2) It doesnt anymore. There are some other options, but the UT pathway right now is the easiest. You would not need to travel back to the states for either DC or UT. You can get either a secondary credential or a primary credential. DC does have endorsements, they require taking the associated PRAXIS exams.
molang

Post by molang »

Great, that's really helpful @psyguy. I wasn't aware that the rules had changed. The issue with the UT Level 1 license that I can obtain is that I get stuck at Level 1 unless I actually work in UT. I can image some IS not considering Level 1 to be good enough?

After accruing some years of teaching experience abroad, do you happen know of any state that might be lax enough to allow me to transfer my license and maybe turn it into a Level 2/Standard/Advanced/whatever license, maybe with some testing first?

Unless there's something I'm missing about Florida's rules, it might be better to take the teacher ready route and get the FL professional certificate.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@molang

Yes, you would be stuck with the level one APT certificate unless you returned to UT to teach, the same with CT, etc.. There have already been some reactions to the UT ACT level one credential, but it does make you legal, and it is renewable. Its not like a DC initial credential or a CA preliminary credential, that isnt renewable and expires. Considering the effort and resources it takes to get it though, its very economical at a few hundred USD, and a day for the exam and fingerprints.

There may be options to standardize the APT credential right away through a state like TX (which only has one level of certification) or MS (which has low standards) or CT, HI, FL which have compatible certification schemes, where you would qualify for that states entry level credential. The issue is that you will likely be the test case, wherever you apply. As you add experience your opportunities increase. You did a double major so you may have 150 credits and you could technically receive the UT APT credential in ESOL, and thus qualify for a CLEAR CA credential in ELD. DC and NJ would also be options after 2 years experience providing you their professional and advance credentials respectively and the professional credential in HI after 3 years.

The most economical and viable pathway would be to get the UT APT credential in primary. Then apply for QTS immediately, which takes about 1-2 weeks. Once you have QTS you will have standardized the APT credential from UT, and with your academic background will be qualified to teach English Lit and Russian by virtue of academic preparation and qualified to teach primary from the APT credential, you could then be done, as QTS is a lifetime credential with no restrictions or renewal requirements. There is no examination requirement to obtain QTS. You can then explore other options as you build experience. Eventually you will want to obtain either the CA CLEAR credential or the NJ Standard credential. Both of these options do not require further PD for renewal or are lifetime credentials. CA CLEAR is the gold ring of USNC, and is the basis of the Aero curriculum used in USNC ISs.

There is nothing you are missing, except that Teach Ready will cost you about $6K and take about a year (including testing time frames). That $6K has a lot of better uses, you could get a masters degree with that. You could take the UT APT credential and receive a CA preliminary credential and do an online induction program for the same amount of money and not have to do any field experience and obtain a CA CLEAR credential in whatever field you wanted to with the same money. There is also the resource factor. The UT APT credential is an afternoon of testing and a morning getting fingerprints rolled. The rest of the time is gathering application materials. Thats a day, two days tops, compared to 9 months of observations, writing assignments, and plodding through online slide shows. The 5 days of field experience isnt going to mean anything, no one makes their bones in field experience, and 5 days is subbing by anyone in IEs standards. Why work more when you can work less, and 9 months less.

There is also a timing issue. The UT APT pathway and QTSis the only pathway you can do now, and finish this academic year. You could have the APT credential and QTS by February. You'd still be in time to catch the end of peak recruiting, potentially attending the BOS fair as an intern candidate (or UNI), but with lots of third tier recruiting between then and the end of Spring. You wont be able to complete Teach Ready this year because classes will be over in the US before you get to the final module to do your field experience (you could otherwise have the modules done by August).

Lastly, there is nothing preventing you from doing both. You can get the UT APT credential and QTS, use that to get a job and then do either Teach Ready or Teach Now, and you would have a placement (the job) to do your field experience if you wanted to. The bar to entry of the UT APT credential is a few hundred USD and a day or two of effort, and youd be in your classroom for Fall 2017.
Mick59

Post by Mick59 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> DC adopted new rules in July 2016, unfortunately while your PGCEi is still acceptable
> the new rules would require that you complete 2 years of teaching experience to
> apply for the DC standard credential. As time progresses and DC eventually (hopefully)
> formally recognizes the PGCEi, you will be able to apply for the standard license
> under a separate pathway (option A).
>
>
Hi Psyguy

Your posts are very informative and much appreciated. What qualifies as 2 years teaching experience? Would a couple of years in China suffice? With the PGCEi and2 years in China/Asia I could obtain the DC teaching license?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Mick59

A couple of years in China teaching where?

1) If your at an AS thats a DOS IS and is regionally accredited (WASC, etc.) than yes, you just include a letter from your HOS with a quick description of the IS and your supervising leaderships background (that their certified, have DE experience in the US, their years of leadership experience and credentials) then a notation that thy are an affiliated DOS IS and thats fine.
2) If your IS is just a regionally accredited AS, than its a coin flip, it depends how well and convincing your HOSs letter is and how much the IS looks like an AS and not just a host nationals DS with a US program. Could go either way.
3) If your IS is just a local host nationals DS with an international academy , than its not unlikely they will reject the experience.

The experience isnt really the issue anymore, DC again changed their regulations, you dont need the experience having completed an EPP/ITT program. The issue is assessment, you will need to take a basic skills exam (PRAXIS) a subject exam (PRAXIS) and a PLT/meds/peds exam (PRAXIS). You will then need to have the degree and the PGCEi assessed by a credential evaluation service, and what that report shows in so far as the PGCEi is equivalent to, is a coin flip and subject to some subjective interpretation and discretion. If its approved youll receive a standard (professional grade) credential valid for 4 years but you can use that credential to get QTS by mutual recognition which is valid for life, and let the DC credential expire.
If youre not approved you wont be eligible for a initial credential.