Six month break between contracts, with family. What to do?

Taniwha

Six month break between contracts, with family. What to do?

Post by Taniwha »

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but if anyone can suggest anywhere better I'm all ears!

I'm a primary teacher with eight years' experience. I have a young family (two kids under five). We've been living in South America for five years. Thanks to differing calendar years, I've got a six month break coming up between contracts. We're looking for somewhere to base ourselves for these six months.

My wife works from home and earns enough to support us all if we live cheaply. I was thinking about a short term teaching gig, maybe voluntary in exchange for housing and schooling for the kids. We are happy to live in a basic way, but would need WiFi. Would love to get out of the city.

We could of course just get a cheap house in a low-cost part of the world and mooch about for six months, but the kids need to be occupied and it would be nice to be part of a community.

Any ideas?
Teach1010

Re: Six month break between contracts, with family. What to

Post by Teach1010 »

Why not go back to the States? Schools are always in need of people to cover maternity leaves and many never actually find a qualified candidate to do it.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Thanks for the replies.

lovinoversea: do you know if this program is looking for teachers, and can accommodate a family?? Great idea though.

Teach1010: I've never taught in the States. Would schools there provide housing/schooling for just six months? Wouldn't they rather find a local candidate?
cstone

Post by cstone »

I think the chance of a school in the states providing housing is non existent. They would hire local.

You might consider that move to a low coast area in a low cost country, enrolling your children in a local school while maintaining their English education via homeschooling, and enjoying a break together.

Where I live in Mexico, expat families do this quite frequently. What used to be a retirement age only community is starting to have a larger number of families and young children as residents. Public schools and a number of private schools are available.

Medical care is good and relatively inexpensive, weather outstanding, food good, clean water available delivered to your door, rents reasonable (depending on your income) and needs,access to international airport quick, wifi good, English and Spanish cable available and often included in rent, public transportation available so no need for a car. You would not be allowed to work, but your wife could continue to do so.

Just a thought.
Teach1010

Post by Teach1010 »

First of all, if you're not a U.S. citizen it would be almost impossible to find a job in the Sates. Schools in the States will not provide housing. If it's a public school, they will provide schooling for your kids. They have to - it's the law. Some schools can get pretty desperate to fill maternity leaves. They would prefer a local candidate with a teaching license, but more often then not it ends up being anyone who can pass a background check. If I were a principal, I know I would prefer to fill a maternity leave with someone who WANTS a short term placement rather than someone who is forced to settle for one because they couldn't find a full time job. Unlike private international schools in other countries, public schools in the States almost always pay more (sometimes way more) than private schools, but just like with international schools, it pays to do your research. There are some excellent public schools and there are some pretty terrible ones.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

We thought this was going to happen to us this year. I started thinking about renting a small house in Bali or Lombok, and homeschooling the kids for six months. It didn't pan out that way in the end, but I was getting quite excited about the prospect!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

To begin with you are already in one of the lowest COL centers (CSA) and with your experience and network, I would begin by starting locally.

While there are opportunities, you would be better off working and using your salary to pay for housing. You could also consider putting your kids in a local DS that would be free instead of a private/independent IS.

I know of only a few US DSs that would provide housing and they are in Alaska or on tribal reservations. If your availability is during the US summer season, and all your really interested in is housing and you have some supervisory skills you may want to look into a summer camp, some of the higher more affluent camps may be interested. Though your children are pretty young.
Another option may be a shipboard or semester at sea, program, but they are very difficult to obtain. Its not usually something you can do ad-hoc.
I would also look into IST (International Supply Teachers) though most of their short term vacancies are in hardship locations. Aside from that you can often find vacancies in the ME throughout the year.
You may also wish to consider ESOL teaching there are various paid and volunteer vacancies.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Thanks all, food for thought.

We'd really like to go down the voluntary route, we've decided, so will pursue this. I've two years experience as a coordinator setting up a new department so might see if my skills can be used somewhere. If anyone has any leads on charity work along these lines please let me know.
lovinoversea

Post by lovinoversea »

I know housing is provided for volunteers. They are always looking for people to help with this project. How is your French?
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Unfortunately our French is non existent! We speak Spanish and English.

I will still check it out though, thanks so much.